Friday, December 31, 2010

The first F00d P0rn of the New Year

This was supposed to be a Strawberry Layer Cake. However, as I had frozen cherries, I decided to adapt it to what I had on hand. This cake has three layers and was very labor intensive to produce. The ingredients needed to be blended together in three separate bowls. I made huge mess in my kitchen and got cake flour (this stuff isn't cheap) on the floor, the counters and myself. I cleaned up my kitchen as the wonderful aroma of butter, sugar, vanilla and cherries filled my home.

After allowing the cake layers to cool completely, I made the icing as well as a huge mess in my kitchen (the second time today no less). This time I got confectioners sugar all over the place as the icing required six cups! Way to get a sugar high, eh followers?

I had a lot of trouble getting the icing to completely cover the cake. I had to keep spreading and smoothing it. Finally, I gave up, left well enough alone and put it in my layer cake carrier to present at my friend's New Years brunch.

I just got back from the brunch and I am VERY happy to report that this cake was a smashing success and almost all eaten. Here is some of the feedback I received as people enjoyed my creation......

"Rachel? Keep cooking....!"

"Amazing....!"

"So beautiful....!

It was all worth it. How long it took the create it. The resulting backache. The trashed kitchen. Me wearing flour and confectioners sugar (I even found some in my hair last night).

Happy New Year's, dear followers. Let's make 2011 delicious!

So pink and pretty! Cherry cake batter.

 Cake layers ready for the oven

Two out of three cake layers cooling on the table. One of them is on the plate of my layer cake carrier. I have them all set up for easy assembly once I make the icing.

 Assembling the cake and having a lot of trouble doing it :-(
Cherry triple layer cake. Finished! My back hurts :-(


This cake is almost all gone because we are all enjoying it!

Slice of cake on plate

4 comments:

  1. Very nice. I can't taste it but can agree with the tasters comments that it is beautiful. I am sure it tastes amazing and I agree you need to "keep cooking" ...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good cake, it was delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks so much for sharing a piece of this fabulous cake with me. The frosting was to die for and the cherry cake was scrumptious. I love being your guinea pig. Feel free to send anything you want my way.... I will be happy to savor every bite.
    xoxoxox,
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete