Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A truly versatile cookie recipe

Don't be afraid to change ingredients in a recipe. I had a cookie recipe for chocolate chip-cherry-walnut cookies but I had dried apricots in my pantry, so I decided to substitute. These cookies are delicious and cooling on my kitchen table as I write this. Here is the original recipe:

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped

1. Preheat oven to 375. Mist a 24-cup mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Combine flour abd baking soda in a bowl.

2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture and stir until just incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips, nuts and cherries.

3. Spoon cookie dough into each muffin cup until it just comes to the tops (these cookies don't rise much).

4. Bake until cookies are golden around the edges and just set in center, 10-12 minutes. Remove muffin tin from oven and allow to stand for five minutes before removing to cool completely.

Chocolate chip-apricot-walnut cookies ready for the oven

Chocolate chip-apricot-walnut cookies cooling on a dish towel.

1 comment:

  1. I can see where you could make this several different ways. I don't have any dried fruit so I'm just adding walnuts and choc chips. They look great.

    ReplyDelete