Saturday, December 18, 2010

I tried two new things today

I decided to try something different with my new recipe for spiced pot roast. I set the Crockpot up last night, allowing the roast to cook overnight. After it was finished, I allowed it to cool to room temperature and put it in the refrigerator so the flavors could meld for a few hours before dinner. I will definitely make pot roast like this from now on. Not only was the flavor amazing,  allowing it to sit for a few hours allowed me to easily skim the fat off the top of the gravy.

My big culinary achievement of the day, however was sour cream-cheddar skillet cornbread. I tried to make this last week, set off my smoke alarm NINE times and it wound up in the trash. I think this was because I tried to do it in a cake pan, when the recipe called for a cast iron skillet (which I didn't own at the time). The day after this disaster, I went out and bought one.  I was able to get it right, despite missing one egg. The recipe called for three eggs and I only had two. The result was moist, delicious, mouthwatering and a wonderful side for my spiced pot roast. The best part? I didn't set off my smoke alarm.


Sour cream-cheddar skillet cornbread fresh out of the oven

Spiced pot roast served over rice pilaf with a side of sour cream-cheddar skillet cornbread

No comments:

Post a Comment