Thursday, December 9, 2010

It happens to the best of us

Alas, there are no pictures of the disaster I had last night. In retrospect, I should have taken some. However, I can share a funny story with you.

Last night, I decided to try a recipe for sour cream cornbread. The recipe called for it to be made in a cast-iron skillet (which I don't own) so I decided to improvise and do it in a cake pan. I am not sure what went wrong but shortly after putting it into the oven, smoke started coming out and I set off the smoke alarm.

I cleared the smoke out, put the cornbread back into the oven. Would you believe I set off the smoke alarm NINE MORE TIMES?

So, I decided to give up and the cornbread that was supposed to be a mouthwatering side with my chili wound up in the trash. I wound up eating my chili with salad, but it wasn't the same.

I plan to try this recipe again next week because today I went out and bought, you guessed it followers---a cast iron skillet.

4 comments:

  1. Don't forget to season the skillet before you use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy--thanks for helping me with this! I have it in the oven now. Cannot wait to try this out!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my cast iron. I recently bought some cast iron with enamel coating. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa--I have it 'seasoning' in the oven now. It's almost done and I didn't set off the smoke alarm!

    ReplyDelete