Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My rendition of a restaurant favorite

One of my favorite things to order at a well-known burger chain is the Guacamole-Bacon burger. I decided to re-create this in my own kitchen (sans bacon). I started out with homemade quacamole. This was very easy to put together, required few ingredients and I enjoyed nibbling on bits of avocado while I made it.

For the burger, I used a recipe called sirloin-black bean-chili burgers. Not only do ingredients such as beans and portobello mushrooms add healthy bulk to burger recipes, they also add moisture and tenderness to the meat.

My rendition was delicious, healthy and made for a fraction of the cost of a restaurant meal. One disclaimer: DO NOT plan on kissing anyone after you eat this meal. The guacamole and burger have red onion in them and are guaranteed to give you dragon breath. I can literally smell myself as I write this but it was worth it. Now: off to brush my teeth!


                         Beautiful ripe avocados, cumin and chili powder for guacamole.


All blended and ready to sit at room temperature for an hour.

Sirloin-black bean chili burgers ready for the broiler.


All done!

Plated with Swiss cheese and lots of guacamole.

4 comments:

  1. This looks so good. I've been looking for something different to do with guacamole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. F00d P0rn0grapher's n0te: I recommend this guacamole recipe either for a crowd or for when you know you can finish it in about a day. As this is homemade and 100% natural, it is likely to go bad quickly. I won't do this again unless I have a lot of people to feed it to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that delicious guacamole with me... You're so right about the onions. I brushed my teeth about 6 times after eating this and I think my breath is still iffy!
    Colleen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time I make this I will be sure to give a side o' minty gum and/or breath mints....:-)

    ReplyDelete