Monday, January 24, 2011

Entertaining on a Monday night

This morning, I mixed a marinade of fresh lime and lemon juices, cumin, chili powder and cinnamon and poured it over bite-sized pieces of chicken breast so it could have several hours to absorb the flavor. Then I headed out as I had a meeting in DC.

After spending most of the day frigid downtown, I was happy to come home and create a delicious Mexican meal for my friend.

On the menu for tonight: chicken fajitas (served with whole wheat tortillas),  black beans and rice. The best part? This all came together in about 40 minutes from start to finish. That includes cooking, cleaning my kitchen and setting the table. My friend loved the meal and it was so much fun to entertain on this cold Monday night.

F00d P0rnographer's note (1-26-2011): This meal was created mostly from using things I already had on hand and wanted to use up. I was making a grocery list to try a new recipe when I happened to look in the fridge and noticed I had half a jar of salsa, half a container of sour cream and Mexican mix cheese. I immediately thought fajitas. All I needed to get was bell peppers, onions, and a can of black beans to create this meal.

 Onions, red and green bell peppers all sliced and ready to become fajita filling.

                                             Marinated chicken breast cooking on the stove

                                          Chicken breast, onions, green and red peppers.

                                               Fajita filling, black beans and rice on the stove.
Salsa, sour cream, romaine lettuce and cheese all ready for fajitas. Ole!

3 comments:

  1. I cut my chicken in thin slices, slicing straight across the breast. I've never tried cutting the chicken into bite sized chunks as you have. I would think your way is best because the chunks will absorb more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me just tell you that this meal was off the hook good. I enjoyed every single bite and the company was wonderful too.
    Thanks for a yum - yum - yummy dinner. You rock Mistress Rachel!!!!
    xoxoxox,
    The Goddess

    ReplyDelete