Sunday, May 15, 2011

I burnt my hand making this meal

On Friday, I took advantage of the rainy, misty weather and brought out my CrockPot to make chicken chili verde. Like any dish prepared in a CrockPot, it smelled amazing as it simmered to deliciousness.

However, chili needs a side: cornbread! Using my cast iron skillet, I prepared an easy recipe for cornbread. Now, I am not sure if you have ever used a cast iron skillet. Not only are they incredibly heavy, they become VERY hot. Despite the oven mitt, I burnt my hand taking it out of the oven.

As I iced my poor hand, I enjoyed the chicken chili verde over long grain rice with a dollop of low fat sour cream, cheddar cheese and a piece of burn-inducing cornbread. This was definitely worth the injury for the best chili I have ever made; perfectly complemented on a rainy night by cornbread prepared the old fashioned way.


Skillet cornbread fresh out of the oven.....(I took this picture with ONE hand! The other was holding an ice pack)

On a plate....

Chicken chili verde with a piece of cornbread.....

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the burned hand. Been there on that one. Cast iron does make the best cornbread . It just gives it that thick crunchy crust that, to me, a good cornbread has to have. The cornbread and the chili look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta tell you Rachel that this Chicken Chili Verde absolutely rocked. I loved every bite of it.
    I'm so lucky to have you as a friend for more reasons than I can say ... but one of the best reasons is ... the fact that you ask me quite often to be your guini pig to try your yummy dishes. Thanks for always thinking of me!!!!
    xoxoxo,
    Goddess Colleen

    ReplyDelete